Nom Nom- 'The Menu'

 

This review is long overdue but so was me seeing Mark Mylod's 'The Menu'. I wanted to see it for quite a while mainly due to being call a dark, comedic thriller structured around food, really not sure why I wouldn't want to go see it. When I did finally see it it was without seeing the trailer, or knowing any part of the plot just the cast list, some very pretty stills and not to mention the dynamic film poster.

'The Menu' follows 'Erin' played by Anya Taylor-Joy and Tyler played by Nicholas Hoult, along side other lucky guests, travel to a remote island to experience the finest cuisine from renowned chef Julien Slowik played by Ralph Fiennes. It opens on Erin and Tyler waiting on a dock for their boat lift to the restaurant, all of the dining guests join and immediately with some side eyes here and there you can tell the film is going to entail a fun mix of characters and potentially intertwining back stories. Once the first meal is served the structured style of the film kicked off, introducing each meal with a witty (often dark) description of the meal and breaking up the not so quite delicious intensions of Chef Slowik as they unravel. These were by far the funniest addition to the film, perfectly timing the 'humour to cope with trauma' wit. 

Although the isolated and eery setting was effective the thing that made this film was hands down the cast, the characters were key ingredients to the film. All performances delivered however Taylor-Joy and Fiennes undeniably made this film work. Taylor-Joy encapsulates a more 'relatable' character throughout the menu experience, creating a balance by reacting to the chaos and having this immediate likability. This can't be said for Hoult's character who immediately reveals himself as a pretentious and condescending dick head, the pair bounce off each other perfectly. Fiennes's performances as Chef Slowik demands the viewers attention in every scene he is in, commanding not only the restaurant staff (YES CHEF) but the entire cinema also. Slowik's character literally makes this film a thriller, he is thrilling. 

As I said to begin with the first appeal to me from this film was the genre. It was comedically dark, not laugh out loud, but balancing this humour well enough in my opinion. Moreover, it did have thrilling aspects; as I mentioned the isolation setting, the addition of an 'antagonist' in Fiennes, however I just do not think it landed this aspect well. The twists and turns of the film for many will be hard to swallow, with a lot more blood involved in my usual restaurant outings, however none of these completely threw me off guard. As soon as it begin it was clear something was not normal, the audience just waiting to see what it is. As soon as Erin was introduced she was likeable and smart, the audience rooting for her to survive and sure she did. As soon as Chef Slowik showed up on the screen, the audience thought that man is definitely going to do something bad to the guests, and shock horror !?! 

'The Menu' was only 1 hour 47 minutes long and for that pleasant viewing time I do highly recommend it. I doubt anyone paying attention (and as long as they are ok with blood) will be completely shocked, but the film is fun and a good watch- after all I'm unsure if I am just wannabe film snob assuming endings as they unfold then ranting about them on a blog I know only two people read! 

I'll finish up this review with the same final thought I left the cinema with- I'd really fucking love a cheeseburger right now 

The Menu (2022) - IMDb

Evie 20 December 2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Nolan favourite -'Interstellar'

Rattlesnakes, cocaine and Margot Robbie- 'Babylon'