Treat for the eyes- 'Blade Runner 2049'

 

This past weekend I was in the mood to watch a good film, and by that I mean a film I've been wanting to watch for ages but just haven't as it would require me to sit down and process a lot either because of content or run time. This weekends choice 'Blade Runner 2049'. 

To start with I watched a wee summary video of the 1982 Blade Runner so I could get some background info which was definitely needed, I can't comment on if that was sufficient but I felt I had plenty info to go into the 2017 film. 

What I was expecting to be impressed with I was. I mean I already knew it has the Academy Award for Best Cinematography, Best Sound Mixing, Best Visual Effects, and so on; plus I've seen those iconic stills of Ryan Gosling in an orange desert, I now know to be abandoned Las Vegas. This film definitely deserved these awards. I gave the Oscars a cheeky google to see if they had much competition and it seems 'Arrival' was also a contender that year which I have seen and highly rated, especially for its score, but 'Blade Runner 2049' colour pallet is so so sexy. I follow an instagram account that simply posts the colour pallet of films including iconic shots from them and 2049 features many a time, understandably. I mean who doesn't love a dystopian film that uses vibrant colours splash in amongst the dark, grey, dreary environment and plot. This film perfectly matched the visuals to the audible experience, both in their dystopian nature and in their quality, both needed to hit the nail on the head for them to both be effective. 

I enjoy a sci-fi film, growing up on cult classics like Star Wars mainly due to the presence of an older brother, but have struggle to enjoyed one in a while. I've enjoyed watching them once and have absolutely no desire to see them again, examples including Arrival and Tenet. However Blade Runner 2049 I actual enjoyed quite a bit, being able to guess parts of the film they hinted at and yet be completely surprised by other plot points. The world building was detail enough to make it a complex storyline with intertwined themes yet interesting enough that I wasn't bored out my mind. Despite that nearly 3 hour run time I was gripped throughout, wanting to get to the end not to finally turn it off but because who was the bloody kid?!?! 

All of the performances were good, especially enjoyed Sylvia Hoeks and Carla Juri. Jared Leto's character was certainly interesting. The scene when he receives the new replicant was so gross I definitely enjoyed its inclusion however him as a character I just didn't enjoy. I didn't find him particularly scary of freaky, not sure if that was just this character or the fact I've always found Leto a bit jarring. 

Enjoyed this film a lot, and definitely glad I can finally say Ive seen it. Just wished I had seen it in a better environment than almost broken student TV with terrible sound quality because that cinematography was gorgeous. Yet another reason to add home cinema to the dream house feature list. 

Blade Runner 2049 Original Movie Poster - Final Style - Harrison Ford  Gosling 5052310869308 | eBay

Evie 21 November 2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Nolan favourite -'Interstellar'

Rattlesnakes, cocaine and Margot Robbie- 'Babylon'