Not another Harry Styles comb over movie- 'My Policeman'

 

With all of the commotion surrounding the release of Olivia Wilde's 'Don't Worry Darling' I think many were unaware that Mr Harry Style was yet again set to protagonist a block buster film, this time on Amazon Prime. 'My Policeman' was a 50s repressed love story about a policeman, Harry Styles, and an art museum curator, David Dawson, whilst Emma Corin's wife character Marion was swept up in it all. The main reason I was excited to see this film was because of Emma, I have loved them ever seen 'The Crown' and am excited to see all the work they are included in since. But I cannot lie and say I wasn't excited to see what Mr Styles could pull out the bag for this film, especially compared to his (expectedly) disappointing performance in 'Don't Worry Darling'. 

The main appeal of this film was its plot, which is credit to the novel by Bethan Roberts and adapted screenplay for the screen by Ron Nyswaner. I normally comment on actor performances, film score and a wee bit of cinematography as part of my completely amateur film reviews yet I can't remember a single thing to comment on the latter of these. 

Dawson and Styles portrayed their forbidden love extremely well, truly presenting the vulnerability and passion between them when together. Despite all of this, and the fact I am literally queer, I found myself routing for Marion and despising the boys affair. This may an unconscious bias towards Emma Corin as mentioned before but Marion's character was so sweet and naturally curious I couldn't help but feel intensely sorry for her. It was really hard to work out if this was well in truly a love-triangle or a secretive affair misleading Marion the entire time. The two story times between the young characters and older characters was beneficial to show all the wasted time for all the characters involved. 

The overall feeling of this film was well in truly depressing with the cool tones and crushing older story line. Which is a shame considering the only queer media we seem to get at the moment is forbidden, stuck in the closet, doomed love. I was in no way expecting a happy ending, I mean it was two gay boys in the 50s, but perhaps we can get some happier representation soon. 

Upon first watch, I had rated the film a lot higher than I would now of given it. I believe this was truly based on the plot, and if that's the case perhaps I should have read the book. The first time watch was enjoyable, but Im left with very few lasting thoughts of the film other than it being a dated sad LGBTQ+ romance film. Saying all that I did prefer it to 'Don't Worry Darling', which is not a comparison I think she be made other than the fact Mr Styles is in it- but he is better in 'My Policeman'.

My Policeman (2022) - IMDb

Evie 13 November 2022


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Nolan favourite -'Interstellar'

Rattlesnakes, cocaine and Margot Robbie- 'Babylon'