Not one, Not two, but THREE Bodies- 'Bodies Bodies Bodies'

 

I hate horror films. Not because I actually hate them, I have quite enjoyed the very limited ones I have seen however it takes convincing for me to watch them; either by peers or some self motivation. Until about a year ago the only horror film I had seen was 'Bird Box' and to me that was terrifying, pretty sure I had to stop watching as it got too dark so I could pick it up the next day during the daylight. When it comes to horror I am a huge wimp, I hate jumps cares but more importantly I hate the suspense building up to the scare- which is what makes a good horror film. So based on this, this review of a horror film I have recently watched will be a rarity. 

I recently watched 'Bodies Bodies Bodies' the Halina Reijn comedy horror slasher film in cinema. Despite it being a comedy slasher film I was still shitty to to watch, especially as this was the first time I had seen a 'horror' film in cinema. The complete dark and inability to hide behind a cushion or use my phone as a 'Im not scared just checking my instagram' technique was gone, just me and the jump scares. But I had been watching for this film to come out ever since two actress's I follow on instagram were attached to it. 

One, Chase Sui Wonders. I had seen her in the TV show 'Generation', followed her and her discography for one reason. I fancy the fuck out of her. 

The second actress, Rachel Sennott. I followed her for a less objectifying reason. I watched 'Shiva Baby' a year or so back after I had seen the Youtube film reviewer Karsten Runquist log it, thinking it sounded like a film I would enjoy. Which I did. Very much. It was one of my favourite films that year and I went away thinking Sennott was brilliant, following her waiting to see what other work she would produce. 

I was excited to see a film with these two acting, only for this excitement to increase once I realised it looked like it was going to be a very good film. So convinced myself to other come the fear of suspenseful slasher sumo scares and see it in cinema. And if anything, it wasn't even scary. Yes it had classic slasher build up scares which were effective but the film was fucking hilarious. Sennott's monologue near the end of the film about Jordan's parents had me in pieces. Every single performance was brilliant, effectively pulling off the satire of generation Z. 

The satirical script delivered perfectly by the head to toe blood covered raged characters was pure chaos. A man called Jasper Wolf was cinematographer on the film, using practical lighting very effectively. With the use of glow sticks and the light from iPhones as the only light guiding both the characters and us the audience through the huge Maison that was plummeted into larked throughout the storm. 

As you can tell I really enjoyed the film, and would recommend it for a good time. I didn't think it was predictable, often knowing something was about to happen but never too sure what that was exactly going to be. Criticising the film, there were definitely some clear scenes that I can remember about two weeks after watching it and others and couldn't, perhaps that could of been cut as I don't recall them being key to the 95 minute plot. Plus I hated the character Bee, not like I could give a reason but I just didn't care about her at all. Just didn't think she contributed much as a character, she was easily lost within the chaos presented by the characters around her which would of been fine if I liked her more but if anything I was just like ugh go back to the fun characters when she came onto the screen. 

Overall, I would happily watch again, very glad Sennott is getting more recognition and pleased I have finally seen a film that I think pulled of the taking the piss out of Gen Z without flopping and/or being too cringe. 

But, you will never catch me playing Bodies Bodies Bodies even considering the fun plot twist at the end.

Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022) - IMDb

Evie 25 September 2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Nolan favourite -'Interstellar'

Rattlesnakes, cocaine and Margot Robbie- 'Babylon'