'Captain Fantastic' and the comedy indie film genre


I've just visited my family and was in charge of choosing the film to please both the younger lot (early 20s) and the eldest (80 yr odd), I seized this chance to watch a film from my very long watchlist- 'Captain Fantastic'. 

I had been recommended this film both by friends and by streaming likes suggested "because you liked..." so expected to enjoy it and it did not disappoint. Matt Ross's 'Captain Fantastic' will join the ever-growing list of my favourite genre of film; the sort of indie, sort of comedic, sort of heart stringer pulling film. Like the rest of films in this list, the film often used wide shot cinematography with crisp colours that bring a sense of nostalgia even on first watch. Alex Sommer's was responsible for the soundtrack and boy did he deliver. I have been a fan of listening to film scores ever since my friend introduced me to revising to the 'How to train a dragon' soundtrack nearly five years ago, hence my preference was always scores that felt smooth, bringing thoughts of movement or flowing into mind. Sommer's score fit the film perfectly, knowing exactly when to be eery and peaceful or when to melodic and jolly. 

'Captain Fantastic' was my favourite type of comedy, one where the laughs may not be permanent throughout the film but perfectly timed and maintaining the light-hearted feeling even amid intense and raw topics mentioned. The script balanced this cheery and tenderness perfectly. I was absolutely in awe at the scene in which Bo tells his father about his college acceptance, George Mackay gave himself to the character entirely. 

'Cha Cha Real Smooth', 'The Way Way Back' and 'Little Miss Sunshine' are among the film within this my favourite genre list. And list these films, 'Captain Fantastic' had what I think is a perfect ending. It doesn't have a clean and 'perfect' ending in which all characters have resolved the problems encountered earlier in the story- but they are messy and real. My feelings towards the protagonist in the film were contentious throughout, often wavering between sympathetic and dislike. Despite this, the love he felt for his children and wife oozed out the film, making the ending feel like the only right way to do it. 

I promise as I review more films I will start criticising but I really struggle when Im watching films like this. Especially now as I have a new favourite recently watched film quote:


"My face is mine, my hands are mine, my mouth is mine, but I'm not. 

I'm yours."


Evie 30 August 2022

Captain Fantastic - film Afcinema

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Nolan favourite -'Interstellar'

Rattlesnakes, cocaine and Margot Robbie- 'Babylon'